[vox-tech] [OT] Electrical Engineering Question

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:28:26 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Saturday 01 February 2003 01:38 am, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > Assuming you have a regular meter like mine, the calculation should yield
> > 810W - 576W = 234W, which could be reasonable. I don't know what kind of
> > light bulb you used... torchiers output is often adjustable.
>
> It was your basic 50-200-250W 3-way filament bulb in a floor
> lamp.  Also note that if my first reading was 1 second lower
> then we would compute 260W, not 234W -- so we're well within
> experimental error.

Good point!

> > Beware of
> > "hidden loads" too... a refrigerator kicking off or on toward the end of
> > your measurement interval can reduce or increase respectively your
> > apparent load.
>
> Yup, I had unplugged the fridge.
>
> Anyway, this was EXACTLY the kind of help I was looking for.
> Jeff, it's because of people like you that LUGOD rocks!

Well, thanks for the compliment, but it's because of people like you that
the list and the website happen, and I always look forward to your posts,
too!  Thank you!

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing