[vox-tech] [OT] Electrical Engineering Question

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:20:35 -0800

hi rod,

well, the math looks good, but you most likely knew that anyhow.

the relative error between 325 watts and 250 watts is about 23%.  pretty
high, imho.

the implicit assumption is that the dial's rotational speed increases
linearly with energy consumption.   i have no inner feeling for whether
that's true or not.  however, i can tell you that the power delivered by
an harmonic wave of any sort is proportional to the *square* of its
amplitude.  that's kind of counter intuitive, and was just meant to
illustrate that linear increase in angular speed may not result in
linear increase in consumed power.

but i'm _very_ interested in hearing PG&E's response to this.  please
send a followup to this when you have more info!

pete

ps- what kind of bulb consumes 250 watts?  a french fry lamp?   :)

begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>