[vox-tech] FTP Problems - Now Resolved

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:29:54 -0800

On Thu 18 Dec 03, 12:22 PM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman said:
>
> > can you guess what the most likely cause for the error is?   ;-)
>
> I can think of a couple of possibilities, but I don't know if any are what
> you're thinking of.
>
> 1.  Directory permissions are set improperly.  I've double-checked the
> permissions on the directories and files in question, and they are
> correct.  Just to be extra sure, I set the permissions to 777 and tried
> again, with the same result (and, of course, set them back as soon as I
> was done testing).
>
> 2.  Not using passive transfer.  I used both passive and non-passive file
> transfer, and got the error with both methods.
>
> But, I just got word from the network administrator.  It appears that he
> made an error of some sort in the firewall, and now it's working.  Heh.
> Is that what you had in mind?

heh.  to be perfectly honest, no, not at all.   :-)

if you could connect ok, log in ok, dir ok, get ok, but couldn't put ok,
i was betting on permissions or disk space.

can you describe what the resolution was?  i can't imagine why a
firewall rule would cause a 5xx error.  it would be a good opportunity
for me to learn something new.  can you ask him what the deal was?

pete