[vox-tech] FTP Problems

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:07:26 -0800

On Thu 18 Dec 03, 11:59 AM, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> said:
> On Thu 18 Dec 03, 11:27 AM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> > When attempting to connect to a remote server for work, I continue to get
> > the following error:
> >
> > 550 Requested action not taken
> >
> > Our network administrator insists that the firewall is set up, that ports
> > 20 and 21 are both open to my home computer's IP address, and so on.  I've
> > tried using both passive and non-passive transfer.  Neither works.  It
> > happens with every client I try, whether it's Windows or Linux.
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on this?
> >

> > Sláinte,
> > Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)
>
> hi richard,
>
> yeah -- have you tried google?
>
> i did a search on:
>
>    ftp "action not taken"
>
> and got a whole bunch of things which might point you in the right
> direction.  most of the documents seem to indicate that the 550 error
> indicates something liek "file not found", "file busy", "you don't have
> access to the file", "invalid permissions", etc.
>
> just so i understand: you...
> 1. start the ftp client
> 2. open a connection to the server
> 3. enter a username (like "ftp" or anonymous")
> 4. enter a password (like your email address)
> 5. the second you enter your password, you get the error 550?
>
> can you be a bit more specific when you say "attempting to connect to a
> remote server"?
>
> the description of 550 is very different from the path mark and david
> were going down.  i'd like to understand the problem a bit beter.
>
> pete
>
> ps- sorry for bad spelling today.  i've got a torrent going, and email
> is very painful right now.  :)

the reason why i want to know what you're doing so precisely is that the
500 level messages indicate that you already issued an ftp command, but
for some reason, that command cannot be completed AND it cannot be
retried successfully without something happening (like logging in,
changing a file's permission, etc).

but your email says all you did was log in, so i wanted to verify
that.

thanks,
pete