[vox-tech] [OT] IRQ's under win2k

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:23:09 -0800

hi dave,

On Sat 13 Dec 03,  4:58 PM, Dave Margolis <margolid@ecs.csus.edu> said:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > bleah.  i can't change it.  did some web surfing, and found information
> > on it, though.
> >
> > there are different hardware abstraction layers (HALs) that can be used.
> > if you install win2k with a HAL of ACPI, you can't change IRQs.  if you
> > have a HAL of "standard PC", supposedly you can.  i'm using an ACPI HAL.
>
> This solution fixed a similar problem on an old win2k pc I had.  The
> _solution_ kind of sucked because APM stopped working.  You got _it's now
> safe to turn off your PC_ instead of a clean shutdown, I couldn't suspsend
> (not that windows ever suspends and recovers well enough to be trusted),
> etc.  If you are booting into windows just to play a game, and then
> rebooting, these problems probably won't bother you, and for whatever
> reason I can't describe, you'll get a better IRQ distribution.

yeah -- just gaming.  and i've been teaching myself flash action
scripting.  flash is actually a lot of fun to play with.

> > another page on microsoft's website says there are two ways to go from
> > an ACPI HAL to a standard PC HAL.
> >
> > one way is by doing voodoo with the device manager, but they warn you
> > that your OS probably won't load if you do that.
>
> This didn't break anything in my case.  You just right click my computer,
> got to properties, go to hardware, then to device manager, right click on
> computer and go to properties, do reinstall driver, pick from list,
> and then choose standard PC.

ack.  i wish i read this a few minutes ago.  i tried the "microsoft
recommended way" (see below) and now win2k is no longer booting.  the
system reboots before i get the login screen.

> One time, when messing with my mom's older P-II ibm, I tried to go the
> other way with win2k (from standard pc to acpi ready something pc)
> it never again reboot until i reinstalled everything. wacky.
>
> > the other way is to reinstall win2k as an update.  i sure hope that
> > doesn't mean i have to reinstall all my software.
> >
> > sigh.  i'll probably try reinstalling.
>
> I don't know where you would define this option during install; I don't
> remember seeing that.

it seems to be undocumented, even on MS's site.  i found it with google.
when the installation (or repair) process asks something like "press F3
to install SCSI drivers for installation", if you press F5, you can pick
which HAL you want.

F7 did something too, but i don't remember what it was.

this totally sucks.  i've had nothing but bad luck with win2k.  i'm
almost ready to go back to linux only, but i really enjoy playing around
with flash.  :(

pete