[vox-tech] mutt, email, usb mini storage, dvorak...

Bryan Richter vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:37:39 -0800

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:22:37PM -0800, Jonathan McPherson wrote:
> The biggest annoyance from my point of view (aside from keeping the
> keymap loaded, switching layouts for others, etc) is that most Unix
> commands are designed (accidentally or intentionally?) to be ergonomic
> on Qwerty.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that problem specifically. I think that's
what did me in. Just as typing is smoother with Dvorak, running around
*nix is 'smoother' with the qwerty layout. I think that would be hard to
change.

> row with your two ring fingers on Qwerty, but on Dvorak your right pinky
> has to type both the 'l' and 's' keys.  Ugh.
I actually aliased 'no' to 'ls'. It worked, but it elicited laughs from
Windows-using roommates. "Why do you keep telling your computer 'no'?"
Hehe

> Ideally you could generate a key mapping that is optimized for the way
> you work, but sadly there's no decently portable way apply it.
You know what we could use is a hot-pluggable, programmable, portable
keyboard. Sounds like something the Happy Hacking Keyboard manufacturers
might consider, since they already cater to this particular market. It
wouldn't fix the awkwardness of the command prompt, but it could make
programming easier.

Or hey, why not put some flash storage on the keyboard? Carry around
your shell aliases with you! :-D

-Bryan