[vox-tech] Trying to get nfs working

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:23:53 -0700

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:10:05AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I've been following the nfs howto but I'm running into a problem (or 2).
> First I can't seem to start nfsd.  I keep getting "Function not implement=
ed"
> though I don't know which function.  And on the client I'm getting a
> permission error when I try to mount the file system
>=20
> I'm running debian woody (out of the box).  What am I missing?

Getting NFS to work is generally very easy on Debian. Let's try the standard
checks first:

- Kernel NFS support? Check using=20

		grep NFS /boot/config-2.*

	You will see output like:

		/boot/config-2.2.17:CONFIG_NFS_FS=3Dm
		/boot/config-2.2.17:CONFIG_NFSD=3Dm

	if you have NFS support in any installed packaged kernels. The first line
	is for NFS client support, the second for NFS server support. The 'm'
	indicates that the drivers are modules. Make sure that the kernel you are
	running matches the config file. If you compiled your oenw kernel and did
	not use make-kpkg then you may not have a /boot/config* file.

- Proper packages installed? You need either nfs-common and nfs-kernel-serv=
er
  or nfs-user-server.

- Clients allowed to connect by /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?

--=20
Henry House
The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.=20
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key:
<http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--