[vox-tech] Unnecessary RDBMS features [was Need your help in recovering database.]

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:35:13 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 09:03:07AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

> > Regardless of how stable MySQL may be, your database server is still
> > susceptible to power outages, hardware failures, etc.
>
> My observations have shown that hardware is very reliable, the
> energy crisis is over, and battery power supplies cover gaps well.

No hardware is perfect. Power surges have been known to
take out UPS: strong ones have even occaisionally arced across surge
protectors to take out UPS. Besides which, the software isn't perfect
either, rendering the hardware question moot (perfect hardware running
software that's bombed isn't exactly useful). The statement above
seems naively overconfident.

-Micah