[vox-tech] Strange server behavior

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:50:05 -0700 (PDT)

> Check how they are called in the init.d script with the argument of
> "start", and compare it with how you invoke it manually.

As far as I can tell, they're the same.

>From the command line, I do (as user cfusion)...

$ /space/usr/jrun/bin/jrun start admin

In the script, it's

/usr/bin/su cfusion "${JRUN_HOME}/bin/jrun $1 $jrun_params 2>&1

where $JRUN_HOME = /space/usr/jrun and $jrun_params = admin.

> If they are the same, also take into consideration the difference in
> environment: what env. vars do you have that init wouldn't/vice-versa?
> If you're not running it as root via the commandline, even that
> can make a negative difference (it has for me in some cases). If the
> latter ends up being the problem, it is often because the script
> realizes that, due to certain configurations of your system, running as
> root is Very Dangerous(TM), and the script simply refuses in good
> concience to allow this situation, and so will gracefully exit.

As far as I can tell, the relevant env. vars that would need to be set up
in the root environment are the same for the cfusion user.  I'll
double-check though.

> Of course, you're not talking about graceful exits in this case, so I
> doubt that last is your problem. But think about all these
> things. There obviously *has* to be some difference...
>
> ...BTW, did you ensure that the path to the program you're invoking is
> the same in both cases? Coz that would *really* explain it...

It would indeed.  I've made such groaners before.  But I don't think
that's the problem in this case.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford