[vox-tech] Need your help in recovering database.

Tim Riley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:26:04 -0700

Soumyadeep nandi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As a naive to this field, I want to get rid of a
> problem, for that, I am keen, awaiting your
> suggestions. I doubt, I could not present my case in
> front of you properly. Anyway, my problem spins around
> the following.

I've worked with mysql for 4 years and it's behaved completely
flawlessly. So, unlike diagnosing Oracle problems, I'm
naive too.

However, it might be easier to export the data, recreate the
database, and then import it back. Does "mysqldump" work?
It does all three.

> I've created a database which is suppose to handle
> large number of data. The database is having four
> tables. One of them is the largest holding 10,66,014
> rows, and others having around 10,000 rows. I am using
> perl DBI script to dump data to the tables.
> But suddenly while updating data with perl script it
> started giving error like
>
> My server has gone away...
>
> Then I've shutdown the mysql and the system. When I
> restarted the mysql, then I encountered the error:
>
> Didn't find any fields in table 'blast_genescan'

Does "describe blast_genescan;" return the correct
columns? If so, maybe the perl script needs a closer
look.

> This for all the tables.

Do you mean that "describe table2;", "describe table3;",
and "describe table4;" all return no columns?

> Then after enquirying for the problem in the datafile
> (i.e. in my system /var/lib/mysql) I found
> 'ibdata1' file is of '2350907392' size. What I guess,
> this might be giving me the error.

Do you mean the filename
'ibdata1.whatever_the_extension_for_database_or_index_files_for_your_mysql_version_it'?

You left off an extension; Mysql datafiles all have extensions.
Is ibdata1 one of your four table names? If not, is the time stamp
showing
it was written to recently?

> I am using 256MB RAM, having 40GB HD out of which 5GB
> is meant for /var
> /dev/hda5       5036284   3679460   1100992  77% /var
> (after loading the database)

OK. We can rule out running out of disk space.

> The my.cnf file in my system is as follows:
> [mysqld]
> port = 3306
> datadir=/var/lib/mysql
> socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> skip_locking
>
> #pasted from link shown in Tim Hendersens reply...
> # You can write your other MySQL server options here
> # ...
> #                      Data file(s) must be able to
> #                      hold your data and indexes.
> #                      Make sure you have enough
> #                      free disk space.
> innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:120M:autoextend
> #                      Set buffer pool size to
> #                      50 - 80 % of your computer's
> #                      memory
> set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
> set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
> #                      Set the log file size to about
> #                      25 % of the buffer pool size
> set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M
> set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
> #                      Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
> #                      to 0 if you can afford losing
> #                      some last transactions
> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
>
> [mysql.server]
> user=mysql
> basedir=/var/lib
>
> [safe_mysqld]
> err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
> pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

What is the output to "tail /var/log/myysqld.log"?