[vox-tech] Need your help in recovering database.

Soumyadeep nandi vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:50:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

As a naive to this field, I want to get rid of a
problem, for that, I am keen, awaiting your
suggestions. I doubt, I could not present my case in
front of you properly. Anyway, my problem spins around
the following.

I've created a database which is suppose to handle
large number of data. The database is having four
tables. One of them is the largest holding 10,66,014
rows, and others having around 10,000 rows. I am using
perl DBI script to dump data to the tables.
But suddenly while updating data with perl script it
started giving error like

My server has gone away...

Then I've shutdown the mysql and the system. When I
restarted the mysql, then I encountered the error:

Didn't find any fields in table 'blast_genescan'
This for all the tables.

Then after enquirying for the problem in the datafile
(i.e. in my system /var/lib/mysql) I found
'ibdata1' file is of '2350907392' size. What I guess,
this might be giving me the error.

I am using 256MB RAM, having 40GB HD out of which 5GB
is meant for /var
/dev/hda5       5036284   3679460   1100992  77% /var
(after loading the database)

The my.cnf file in my system is as follows:
[mysqld]
port = 3306
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip_locking

#pasted from link shown in Tim Hendersens reply...
# You can write your other MySQL server options here
# ...
#                      Data file(s) must be able to
#                      hold your data and indexes.
#                      Make sure you have enough
#                      free disk space.
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:120M:autoextend
#                      Set buffer pool size to
#                      50 - 80 % of your computer's
#                      memory
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
#                      Set the log file size to about
#                      25 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#                      Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
#                      to 0 if you can afford losing
#                      some last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Please advice me what should I do now to retrieve the
database.
Have I lost the database?

Hoping to hear from you.

with regards,