[vox-tech] mp3 files sound like alvin and the chipmunks

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:48:24 -0700

begin Darrick Servis <darrick@kdvs.org>
> What sound drivers are using?  OSS, ALSA, ARTS, ESD.  My guess is the sample
> rate being output by the mp3 app is different from the sample rate of your
> sound driver.  Some cheap soundcards only output at 48Khz.  Any bitrates
> below 128kbps most likely decode to a rate below 44.1Khz, then they are
> playing a higher rate thus the chipmunk sound.  Most apps and sound drivers
> check all this as it is one of the basics of audio programming.
>
> I'd guess your sound driver is broken.

i was going to suggest the same thing.  if you're using OSS, recompile
your sound driver by hand if you're loading a module.

if you're not loading a module, i'd take this as an opportunity to grab
a new kernel and compile it yourself.

i had the same problem a long time ago, when i used to use redhat.  the
problem "fixed itself" after i compiled a newer kernel.

pete