[vox-tech] mp3 files sound like alvin and the chipmunks

Jonathan McPherson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:49:09 -0700

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

Hello,

Since you folks were so helpful with setting up exim (which is now
working happily) ... thought I'd throw this one out.

I have a fairly large number of MP3 files (all legal (-:). Many of
my friends are interested in music and have sent me recordings of
themselves in MP3 format. These recordings seem to inevitably sound like
Alvin and the Chipmunks when they play back.

I've since discovered that every Linux MP3 player I can find seems to be
completely incapable of playing files encoded at under 128kbps. I have a
few gigabytes of MP3s from CDs I own and music I have written at 128 and
160kbps, and it _all_ plays with no problems, despite being encoded with
a wide variety of encoders over the span of several years.

I've tried several different players -- XMMS, mpg321-based players, etc.
I've done quite a few Google searches, but I've had little luck. One guy
on mpc.lists.freebsd.current had the same problem, but that was in '99
and no one seems to have given him any suggestions since then.

I'm a fairly recent convert to Debian, actually -- before Debian, I used
Gentoo. (I'll tell you folks why I switched if you're curious. (-:) It
had the same problem.

Anyone seen this before or have ideas about where the problem might lie?

Jonathan.

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--