[vox-tech] Display Problems with Debian Unstable/Red Hat9

Charles McLaughlin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I just installed Debian Woody, then updated to Unstable.  After the
update I started X and the monitor flashed several colors -- like a
screen saver -- and finally displayed a full white screen.  It seems to me
that the system is sitting at the GDM login sreen waiting for me to log
in, but I can see anyting except white space.

I had the same problem when I tried to run the Red Hat 9 installer (the
RH8 installer works fine).  I'm guessing there is a new version of XFree86
in Sid and RH9 that is causing problems with my video card.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 2100 laptop with an ATI Rage 4MB video card.

Anyone have some advice?  Is there an X config file that I can edit to fix
this?

btw  I can't even get a shell, becouse the system automatically boots to
X.  How can I stop X from loading or kill X once it has loaded?

Thanks!

Charles