[vox-tech] introduction & debian / mutt / exim question

Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:09:29 -0700

hi jonathan, and welcome.  i'm always excited to see new potential
active members who can contribute back to lugod.  where did you do your
undergrad?

i'm writing my dissertation right now, so this needs to be short, but
some free-flowing ideas:

* sounds like you're very clueful, so i assume you've checked all the
   log files in /var/log?

* very often, a quick scan of bugs.debian.org is useful.  see if there
   are any bugs that mention dropping messages

* have you checked your spool directory to see if the missing messages
   are there?

* if you want to pull out the huge-hunking guns to fight the war, try
   running exim with strace or ltrace.  set -s to something ridiculous
   like 999.  you might be able to learn something if a message gets
   dropped and you can see system or library calls, their arguments and
   their return values.

* exim comes with a -d switch to set a debugging log level.  see the man
   page for details (run exim by hand, not in daemon mode).   -df looks
   interesting too.

* i did a quick scan of google groups and can only find a mention of
   exim dropping messages with fetchmail.

* i'm sure you've thought of this, but it might be interesting to see
   what kinds of commonalities exist between the domains that you have
   problems with.  for example, the mail exchanger for ucdavis.edu is
   smtp.ucdavis.edu.  oops.  nmap can't fingerprint this system.  does
   anyone know what OS that system is running?  i'll submit it to
   insecure.org.

well, anyway, i better get back to work.

good luck!
pete

begin Jonathan McPherson <jamcp@ucdavis.edu>