[vox-tech] Getting document name from inside a PDF

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:39:18 -0700

Do PDFs somehow store a 'document name' inside them?

What I've got is a list of *.pdf files with really lame names with lots
of acronyms and abbreviations.

Google.com seems to be able to get human-readable names out of PDF
files.

Some random "xyz.pdf" might be listed as:

  [PDF] This is the title
  File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
  ... here's a quote from within the PDF ...
  www.somesite.com/xyz.pdf - Similar pages

Is there a simple tool to do this?  (I'm especially curious if there's
a way to do this directly within PHP, as it's a PHP script that
needs to show this stuff.)

Thanks!