[vox-tech] resolving dependencies with XFree86-4.3.0-3

Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:02:37 -0700

begin Ryan <rcdetert@ucdavis.edu>

(snip)

> I'm afraid 'rpm -Uvh' is about the extent of my rpm knowledge and I
> don't have a clue where to go from here.

how to get a clue/learn more about rpm:

1. google:

   there are some awesome rpm tutorials out there!

2. google groups:

   everybody with rpm has had the same problem you're having right now.
   this question has probably been answered one time for every rpm user
   at this point.   ;)

3. info rpm:

   you couldn't ask for more rpm knowledge.  read the entire info page,
   and i guarantee you'll be one of the rpm experts of lugod.

4. man rpm:

   couldn't ask for a better summary of rpm command line arguments.
   you'll know considerably more than "Uvh" after the man page.   even
   better, you don't even have to read.  just do a regex search on
   "dependencies".

5. /usr/share/doc/rpm

   has all sorts of information on rpm.

just some ideas on where to go from here.   i'm sure there are others
that i'm missing, but these are some of my favorites.

pete