[vox-tech] Re: Logitech Mouseman and XF86Config-4

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:16:48 -0700 (PDT)

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:53:49PM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> [...]
> > The reason autops2 and exps2 failed is because I don't have either
> > installed.  Fair enough.  But why, now that my gpm.conf is back to
> > /dev/psaux, could the mouse not be initialized?  I have a Gift....

Henry House:

> GPM's miscommunication with the mouse may have caused it to go
> wacko. Try a hard reboot (turn the machine off at the switch on the
> back and leave off for a minute or two). This trick has worked for
> me before (though not with mice= ).

I shut down using /sbin/shutdown -h now, turned the machine off, and
left it off for 5-10 min.  The mouse still doesn't respond, and gpm
still says that mouse initialization failed:

/var/log/syslog:

/usr/sbin/gpm[275]: mouse initialization failed: Invalid argument

Here's my gpm.conf file:

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
#  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
#  appended to the commandline.
#
#  If you edit this file by hand, please be aware it is sourced by
#  /etc/init.d/gpm and thus all shell meta characters must be
#  protected from evaluation (i.e. by quoting them).
#
#  This file is used by /etc/init.d/gpm and can be modified by
#  /usr/sbin/gpmconfig.
#
device=/dev/psaux    works for Logitech
responsiveness=
#repeat_type=ms3
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
#type=autops2
append=""

Suggestions?  The current mouse is the Logitech Mouseman.

> > OT rambling: do speakers of other Germanic languages call computer mice by
> their native cognate of English 'mouse'? With root-mutating plural and all?

I can't tell you about German, but in French, a computer mouse is
indeed "souris," the French word for the small grey rodent.

			- robin.