[vox-tech] Unix Utilities>OS X= Mystery

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:24:50 -0800

George,

So, if I understand you correctly, you would like to run The GIMP in Mac
OS X, and you seem to have some kind of CD that contains some
distribution or other of The GIMP... and it's weird somehow.

Here's what I would suggest (note that this will work best if you have
access to a fast net connection): if you don't have Fink yet, get it
(http://fink.sourceforge.net).  Go to the web page, read the necessary
documentation (http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/index.php),
and install Fink.  Pay special attention to "Getting X11 Sorted Out" in
the user guide, as you'll need the X Window System in order to run The
GIMP.  Personally, I run Apple's X11 public beta on my Mac, but you can
also get it from xdarwin.org or through Fink itself.

Once you have a working Fink installation and X11 is installed, go to a
terminal and type "sudo apt-get install gimp" at the prompt.  You will
be prompted for your password, and then most likely presented with a
list of other packages that need to be installed; tell it to go ahead,
and sit back.  If the command line makes you squeamish, look into
FinkCommander.  I don't use it, but supposedly it provides a gui for
package management with Fink.

Assuming all goes well and The GIMP gets installed without any errors
(there's no reason it shouldn't), you can launch GIMP from a terminal by
typing "gimp &".  Note that X11 needs to be running in order for GIMP to
run, and the terminal that you launch it from needs to know which X
display to use.  What this means is that you need to either launch it
from an xterm, or you need to configure Terminal so that there's an
environment variable called "DISPLAY" that is set to ":0.0".  If you use
bash as your command shell in Terminal (this isn't the default), then
you can accomplish this by including the following lines in your .bashrc:

if [ -n $DISPLAY ]
then
    DISPLAY=:0.0
fi

export DISPLAY

This assumes that Terminal is running as a login shell; if you use csh
or something else, I don't know what the proper syntax would be.

If this all sounds like Greek to you, then you need to learn a little
bit about Unix, or go another route.  There's also a macgimp.org, but I
don't know anything about that, so you'd be on your own.

Ah yes, almost forgot, I think it's possible for OS X to not have the
"BSD subsystem" (or whatever they call it) installed, that is, many of
the core Unix utilities could be missing.  If that's the case with your
installation, then you'll need to install it.

Good luck,
Matt