[vox-tech] Re: [ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu: [lugod lert] gentoo newbie questions]

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:39:50 -0700

Issac Trotts wrote:

<snippage>

>>This is something that happens *during* the Gentoo install?  If so,
>>maybe you're misinterpreting an instruction, because I don't recall ever
>>having to mount any filesystem in two places during a Gentoo install.
>>You do have to chroot at some point, which could cause some confusion.
>>

> Well, no, it's something that happens in preparation to install.
> Instead of burning a CD-ROM (which involves lots of extra trial-and-error
> since I don't have my CD burner installed yet) I was going to do what
> the Gentoo people said would be easier: install from within an existing
> Linux installation.

Aha.  Admittedly I'm too lazy to go read the Gentoo docs for myself, but
from what I remember, I wonder if maybe what you're supposed to do is
copy the Gentoo install CD contents to a directory on an existing
filesystem that won't get clobbered in the new system install.  I think
I did something similar when I installed Gentoo -- I was dealing with an
old IDE CD drive that for some reason can't mount filesystems under 2.4
kernels.  I could boot from it, but when it came time to copy the base
system over, I couldn't mount the CD.  So... after creating and
formatting my partitions, I either ftp'ed the files from the net or
scp'ed them from another machine on my network... I'm not sure which.
Anyway, you could maybe do something like that, except that if you have
the iso image, you'd just mount it as a loopback device and copy the
stuff over to an existing filesystem.  To mount img.iso as a loopback
device, issue a command like:

# mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 img.iso /mnt/img

Of course, I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.  In any case, I
wouldn't recommend risking any kind of Gentoo install on a working
system until you've tried it on another system.

Matt