[vox-tech] Re: [ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu: [lugod lert] gentoo newbie questions]

Issac Trotts vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:32:01 -0700

> >>Issac: I am forwarding your message to LUGOD's Vox-tech mailing list. Have
> >>you checked for information on Gentoo's website? Is /dev/hda3 in fact already
> >>in use?
> >

> > There didn't seem to be anything about this on Gentoo's site.  The device
> > /dev/hda3 was already in use, since it's mounted as / .  Trying
> > umount / (probably not wise) also tells me "device is busy".
>
> This is something that happens *during* the Gentoo install?  If so,
> maybe you're misinterpreting an instruction, because I don't recall ever
> having to mount any filesystem in two places during a Gentoo install.
> You do have to chroot at some point, which could cause some confusion.

Well, no, it's something that happens in preparation to install.
Instead of burning a CD-ROM (which involves lots of extra trial-and-error
since I don't have my CD burner installed yet) I was going to do what
the Gentoo people said would be easier: install from within an existing
Linux installation.

> I know it's been mentioned before, but Gentoo is not a very
> newbie-friendly distribution.  That said, if you have a piece of
> hardware laying around for which you can risk a lot of downtime,
> installing Gentoo can be a great way to learn a bunch of stuff about how
> a Linux system works... if you're ready for that kind of experience.

There's a machine I have at home that's just dying to be reconfigured.
Maybe I'll sacrifice it to the little penguin god.

> Good luck,
> Matt

Thanks, looks like I'll need it :^}.

- Issac