[vox-tech] floppy woes

Foo Lim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

I would check out Mark's suggestion first.  The write protection tab may
be the culprit.

>From the man page of mkbootdisk, the --device option is documented as:

       --device <devicefile>
              The  boot  image  is  created on <devicefile>fR. If
              --device is not specified, /dev/fd0 is used.

Try running mkbootdisk without the --device option.

As for the fdformat errors, you might be formatting the wrong device.  If
you recently bought your floppies, they will most likely be 1.44M, not
360K.  Try this:

fdformat /dev/fd0H1440

to me more specific.  fdformat's man page states it will try to
auto-detect the floppy's parameters using setfdprm, which in turn reads
from the file /etc/fdprm , but you should be more specific to see if that
solves your problem.  Open /etc/fdprm to see if the settings are correct.

FL