[vox-tech] Modem question . . . I think it is possible

Shawn Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

Your idea is reliant on each device producing a signal that is
synchronous (received at the same time) with the signals produced
by the other two devices.  It is one thing to do this with many
transmitters and a single receiver; it is quite another matter to
do this with multiple transmitters and two receivers.

Without synchronous signaling, each device, while able to cancel
its own transmission through the use of echo cancellation,
effectively receives two signals---co-channel interference.
Although it is technically feasible to separate two signals of the
type transmitted by a V.34 modem, it is very, very difficult in
practice.

I think there would be significant problems with other aspects
of V.34 communication (many of which are not linear and are not
separable in the manner you describe), as well.

The idea was worth considering, but I don't think there's much
merit in tweaking the V.34 spec to accommodate multi-user
communication---there are other physical-layer communication
schemes better suited for this.  If one wanted to do this, one
would be better served directly designing a system for it.

shawn.