[vox-tech] Modem Questions...

Eric Nelson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:12:20 -0700

On Thursday 19 September 2002 18:53, Richard Crawford wrote:
> And I'm afraid they don't really involve Linux.
>
> My wife and I have taken new jobs!  Whee!
>
> The company -- Citicorp, of all things -- will be giving us laptop
> computers to take on the road with us, with modems.  Said computers
> will not be including network cards, unfortunately, though I don't
> mind shelling out the money for those myself.
>
> But the modems raise a couple of issues.
>
> First, is there such a thing as a modem splitter -- such that my
> wife and I can both be plugged in to the same phone line in a hotel
> room or something like that and be doing separate things?

The only way that could be feasable is if you are in different bands,=20
like you are using 56K and she is using 9600, or something.  The=20
modem is using signals from a certain frequency band, and 2 similar=20
modems will just wreak havoc w/ each other. =20

You should probably investigate one connection (one modem, one line),=20
and maybe someone can tell you how to have both of you use the same=20
connection, like network the pc's, and use one connection.=20