[vox-tech] Newbie: On building a Linux box

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:58:36 -0700

Quoting B Raiford (raiford@cwnet.com):

> It was suggested that I take everything out of the box that is not needed to
> bring up the basic Linux OS; I did, and it began to install.

That should not be necessary, but neither would it be harmful.

> I tried to put it on a 6.4GB hard disk, but it only recognizes 2GB.

Again, please post _problem symptoms_.  The above is not the symptom,
but rather your diagnosis; your interpretation.  If your diagnosis were
reliable, you wouldn't need help.  We honestly do _want_ to help.
To do that, we need the raw data.

Again, this may help:

I realise that you're probably posting the information you have.  That
is, you probably tried installing some Linux distribution a while ago,
and didn't take notes on the specifics.  What I'm saying is that the
specifics really are essential.  If you have time to go back and try
again, this time writing down what you did and saw leading up to things
going wrong, that would be appreciated.

> The problem I had appears to have been the NEC-ZIP-100. It seemed to be
> trying to identify the ZIP drive as hdb, and kept loosing the interrupt.

I note Sam Peterson's remarks:  People often get by most of the time,
running most software, with mis-jumpered IDE devices by using "cable
select", but this is a very fallible kludge.  If IDE devices were
misbehaving on one of my boxes, device jumpering is about the first
thing I'd check.

--
Cheers,   "This is mad, egotistical, sick, twisted, and stretches the bounds of
Rick Moen   good taste right off the tongue, past the uvula, and down around