digital camera (was: [vox-tech] Newbie DSL router question)

Foo Lim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:54:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 08:47:24PM -0700, Dick McCabe Jr wrote:
> > Also I recently bought an Olympus D380 digital camera with a built in
> > USB connection.  How do I access the camera through Linux?  The camera
> > uses SmartMedia, so perhaps a card reader is in order.
>
> For the cheap solution, I suggest looking into GPhoto and PhotoPC.
> Check to see if they support your particular model (it's highly likely).
>
> I used to use GPhoto with my Olympus D620-L, but found that it was
> a little cumbersome.  I don't need to look at my thumbnails and stuff,
> I just want the pictures dumped in a directory!
>

> So, I looked into PhotoPC, which is a command-line tool, and
> now I can just do:
>
>   mkdir 2002.09.15
>   photopc image All 2002.09.15/
>
> ...and it drops all of the pictures into that new directory.
>

> My camera has a serial cable, though.  I'm not familiar with USB digital cams
> and Linux.  YMMV.
>

> PS - Apparently the new "Gphoto 2" project is breaking the GUI interface
> apart from the actual 'download pictures from camera' code, so you'll be able
> to run it via command-line, too.

Yes, gphoto2 is very nice.  Besides the newly redesigned website, it is
command-line driven (didn't know it was married to a GUI before).  I
merely do:

gphoto2 -L

to list the images I've taken, then either

gphoto2 -P

to download all the images, or

gphoto2 -p 20-25

to get images ranging from 20-25 (found from the -L listing).  Very easy &
clean.

One will have to get some USB device drivers and SCSI modules to work
(http://www.harald-schreiber.de/) I think, but I was able to plug in to a
stock RH 7.2 system without problems.

I have a fairly recent version of gphoto2 (v2.0), and it doesn't seem to
support the D380.  The list is a couple levels deep in the gphoto website
(http://www.gphoto.org), so here it is:
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html .  Hopefully, the FAQ
will have this list instead of redirecting to someone else's website.
Before I bought my digital camera (Canon Powershot S30), I made sure it
was supported in Linux.  You may be able to find something through google.

> [...]
> -bill!

HTH, FL