[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:15:21 -0700

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> I'm personally inclined to think this is a good approach,
> IF the binary-only module is written in such a way as to be
> both OS-agnostic and thread-safe.  In my view, it's reasonable
> to think of such code as an extension of the hardware (which is
> also proprietary).

For good or bad, the approach is already more pervasive than is often
recognised:  The Linux kernel already has quite a number of proprietary
code snippets in it specific to particular bits of hardware firmware, to
initialise devices.   Every once in a while on the Linux kernel mailing
list, someone discovers this, and fur flies briefly.  ;->

--
Cheers,   "This is mad, egotistical, sick, twisted, and stretches the bounds of
Rick Moen   good taste right off the tongue, past the uvula, and down around