[vox-tech] can I limit autofs?

Eric Nelson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:29:40 -0700

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 02:40, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> I don't think autofs allocates resources for serial boards; only
> file systems.
>
> I'm no expert here, but I think "autoclean" means the modules will
> be unloaded automatically if they're no longer needed.  As for the
> "auto" next to I/O addresses, the serial ports generally reside in
> those addresses so they appear in the port listings, but Linux
> doesn't check (can't check?) so they're allocated only when used...
> or so goes my understanding.
>
> To allocate resources for serial ports, use `setserial` on
> /dev/ttySN.
>
> -Mark

You are right, it does not have anything to do w/ autofs.

Yes, probably when you open the device, the ports get allocated for=20
the duration of the open.

My main problem was, I had serial.o compiled into the kernel. If I=20
wanted to control it, it would be best to compile it as a module, so=20
it could be loaded or unloaded manually.

Thanks. ;>)