[vox-tech] aborted XP install kills linux

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:39:03 -0500

I recently lent my computer to a friend while I was
out of town.  He decided that I really needed Windows
XP on one of my unused partitions.  Thankfully, before
he finished installing, he also decided that he
probably shouldn't be installing something like XP on
my computer without telling me.  From what I gather,
he got to the part where the installer asked him what
partition to install on before he stopped.  He
reformatted one of my partitions FAT16 before quitting.

When I tried to boot, I got an error message that said
something like, "error loading operating system".  I
figured that XP had wiped out my bootloader, so I
booted up on a rescue cd and reinstalled grub.  Now, I
get to the grub menu and the kernel begins to boot
only to panic shortly thereafter.  Here is the output:

Net4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:04: rw=0, want=2, limit=1
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:04: rw=0, want=2, limit=1
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:04: rw=0, want=2, limit=1
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:04,
iso_blknum=16, block=32

Also, my remaining linux partitions are being reported
as ext2 and not ext3.  I know that they were ext3
before.

I'm not really sure what to do in order to be able to
boot.  Any ideas?

Kai