[vox-tech] File recovery?

Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:22:36 -0700

hegin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ryan wrote:
>
> > I tried using debugfs, but it's lsdel command showed nothing, leading me to
> > belive that fsck did a real number on my stuff.

maybe you're not doing something correctly?

> You ran fsck?  If fsck finds lost clusters, they go in the "lost+found"
> directory on the root of the partition, I think.  Did you check
> "lost+found"?
>
> > I think my best option is to figure out where the files started on the disk
> > and use mplayer to dump them elsewhere.
> >
> > How would i grep the disk for a string and have it print the offsets?
>
> There are several binary file editors you can probably use on the
> /dev/hdaN (or whatever it is.)  The one I sometimes use is called
> "hex<something>", or "<something>hex".  Sorry for the bad memory... that's
> what `locate` is for, right?!
>
> -Mark :)
>
> PS: Peter was also writing a hex editor at some point.  How's that going,
> Pete?

"bed" (binary editor) is actually pretty far along, but i was writing
another utility called "mr" which is a perl script that undeletes files
on ext2/ext3 filesystems.

i never finished it though -- i was writing it on my laptop since there
is no way in HECK i was going to write anything like that on my desktop
machines.  ;)

and i gave my laptop to my sweetie pie while she's in sunnyvale, so mr
hasn't been worked on in awhile...

pete