[vox-tech] How to make an OEM style "system recovery disk"

Ryan Castellucci vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:58:23 -0800

On Monday 28 October 2002 09:26 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net>

> > I'm looking to build a bootable CD to give to a friend along with a
> > computer that when booted will offer to overwrite the hard drive from=
> > compressed disk image. I looked on freshmeat, but didn't see anything
> > well suited to this. The box in question will have windows on it (The=
> > want windows, I don't feel like arguing). Anyone know of a project th=
at
> > can do this?
>
> i'm not sure i understand.  are you giving your friend a "nag-ware"
> computer that nags him to install linux?  :)

Well, the windows installation (98se) crashes unusualy often (I got about=
 3=20
error messages about invalid page faults the first time it booted.  It's=20
rather old (K6-2 300), and I was going to put linux on it, but she wanted=
=20
windows. This is a female friend who currently has a pre 486 pc and can't=
=20
really afford a new one. I do not think she should have any problems with=
 a=20
minimal linux install aside from figuring out what does what. AFAIK she w=
ants=20
mainly Yahoo messenger, a web browser and an office suite,

It's kind of a problem, give her a pirated copy of windows, which is what=
 she=20
wants, or a Linux install that will probably meet her needs fine.

Debian with gnome would probably be fine

> > What about linux boot CDs that can easily be customized to run a shel=
> > script at boot time?
>
> not sure i understand this either.   the whole runlevel initialization
> mechanism is a method of executing shell scripts at boot.   boot CD's
> should have this too.
>
> when you say "easy", do you mean not having to conform to the standard
> initialization script format?  you can use rc.boot for that.

That will do, problem is finding a bootable CD to start with. I was going=
 to=20
use LNX-BBC, but they don't appear to have sorce snapshots of the 1.x=20
available. From the FAQ

"All of the 1.x versions of the BBC and LNX-BBC were built by taking bina=
ries=20
from a variety of sources (hand-compiled, out of Debian packages, etc) an=
d=20
just throwing them together. As of September 2002, there has not yet been=
 a=20
release of the LNX-BBC that uses the GAR tree."

What i mean by easy, is somthing that will be easy to make changes to and=
=20
rebuild.=20

tomsrtbt would be good, but I'm not sure how to modify it to work with a =
CD.=20
The ElTorito boot image seems to be broken.

> if you want to make an OEM style recovery disk, i imagine you can
> install linux and then dd/bzip2 up the entire hard drive.  i'm guessing
> that even if windows gets installed on top of linux, dd will restore
> partition info.   the backup image shouldn't be too big for a fresh
> install.  but your friend would lose all his data.

I know, but it _will_ fix nearly anything broken.

yes, dd will restore partition info, I've tried it.

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177=
BC7`