[vox-tech] Debian download - 8 disks?

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:20:22 -0700

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 12:32:25PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to try Debian, but...
>
> There's 8 ISOs, including 1 NONUS.  Why is it so big?  I didn't think
> Debian was that big -- all the less popular stuff is downloaded off the
> 'net was my understanding?
>
> Should I get all 8 ISOs?  What do people recommend?
>
> Thanks!

sheesh, no. save your bandwidth and cdr's and download the 3 'compact' floppy
images: root.bin, rescue.bin, drivers.bin

if you're installing on a machine with windos, you can even save yourself
from having to use the floppies by loading the images with loadlin. the
recent versions allow you to load both the boot image and root image at the
same time.

I've found that my usual debian install is 3*1.4mb (images) + ~180-300mb for
the packages. Usually takes about 30-40mins with dsl.

-Gabe