[vox-tech] using autoconf (getting closer...)

Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:46:41 -0700

hi dave,

THANK YOU for replying!   i figured out what was going wrong.  i wrote a
hello world program:

#include<stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
   printf("hi\n");
   return 0;
}

with a simple make file:

hello: hello.c

and it STILL didn't work.   i began to poke around, and found that
the autoconf 2.5x and 2.13 debian packages were both installed on my
system.  apparently, they don't conflict with each other.

i made sure to use only the 2.5x tools, and lo and behold:

% autoscan
% mv configure.scan configure.in
% autoheader
autoheader: `config.h.in' is unchanged
% autoconf
% ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

woo hoo!  huge progress (i also uninstalled autoconf2.13).

of course, /usr/bin/install is on my system so the configure error is
troubling.   according to the autoconf info page:

- Macro: AC_PROG_INSTALL

     Set output variable `INSTALL' to the path of a BSD compatible
     `install' program, if one is found in the current `PATH'.
     Otherwise, set `INSTALL' to `DIR/install-sh -c', checking the
     directories specified to `AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR' (or its default
     directories) to determine DIR (*note Output::).

which is odd, since /usr/bin is in my PATH.  the info page also says
that AC_PROG_INSTALL filters out "install" implementations that are
known to be buggy.

i doubt GNU install is buggy.

when the man page talks about PATH, it's talking about a shell variable,
right?  not some autoconf, make or configure variable?

any ideas?

pete

begin Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com>