[vox-tech] Why I'll Never Be a Network Admin Guy

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:29:34 -0700

i'm not sure.  but with gtk-gnutella, "time to live" is the number of
hops that a file request takes before the host that receives the request
drops it.

for example, suppose i'm searching for "pumpkin pie ingredients".  i'll
assign a time to live of "3".

i pass my request for pumpkin pie to you.  you scratch your head and say
"i dunno".  so you pass it to charlie brown.

charlie brown has a recipe for pumpkin pie and sends it to me.  but he
still passes my request on to a third person, lucy.

lucy also has a list of ingredients for pumpkin pie which she forwards
to me.  she also notices that my request has a "time to live" of 3.
since she's the 3rd hop (the number of hops is kept in the gnutella
header), she discards my request and doesn't pass it on to other
gnutella users that are connected to her.

i'd bet that the "real" time to live isn't much different from this
concept.

pete

begin Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>