[vox-tech] What's in RedHat 8.0

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:09:09 -0700

Quoting Michael Wenk (mikewenk@attbi.com):

> That is the funny thing.  I have a stock PCI 64 SB card.

Well, if one driver doesn't work well, try the others.

> Heh, I *could* go into intimate detail about why I much prefer EIDE
> over SCSI, but Ill skip it :)

Hey, it's a free country; people are allowed to be nuts.
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/scsi-vs-ata
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/hardware/eide.txt

> However, the more I think about it, I think I would rather go the Linux
> from Scratch way.  I'm not really entirely sure why; maybe it's just to
> try it, maybe something else.
>
> Just out of curiosity, have you ever made a Linux system that way?

Well, I participated in making a Linux system _from_ scratch in 1992, but
it wasn't Linux from Scratch, if you get my meaning.  That is, my friend
Richard Couture and I constructed a miniature bootable Linux system
using a floppy, then pulled down gcc, libc, and a couple of more tools,
and then started grabbing tarballs and compiling.  No other framework
for the effort.

Later, we found Slackware.  Never did try SLS, which by reputation was
little different from what we did.

A lot of 14.4 kbps downloading of tarballs, and a lot of grinding
through compiles on 8 MB RAM and a 386.  I'm assuming it's a whole lot
faster now, but probably still a little trouble-prone and tedious.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                     Emacs is a decent operating system,