[vox-tech] What's in RedHat 8.0

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 17:08:48 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com>:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:14:11PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > anyway, i didn't come from a microsoft background, but this guy is.
> > think dropping him into deep water to begin with would just be
> > discouraging, especially if he doesn't have a skillset yet.  he'll
> have
> > to bite, claw, scratch and spend an unbelievable amount of time for
> > every little problem.
> >
> > let him enjoy linux first.  it's not as if redhat makes things brain
> > dead.   after a while, he'll begin to get curious to learn more and
> will
> > hear people talk about debian.  if he wants to move on, he will.  and
> if
> > not, so be it.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what aspects of running a Debian system do you
> consider to be 'harder' than running a Redhat or similar system?  I
> ask
> because I've personally had more success converting people to Linux
> when
> I show them Debian than when I show them distributions like Redhat or
> Mandrake.  I think Debian's strict packaging policies are a big win as
> far as "easiness" goes because it only takes one or two package
> dependency problems to scare away a potential Linux user; under
> Debian,
> these problems are almost non-existent.
>
> I think the 'scariest' part of Debian is the installation, simply
> because it asks more questions than some of the other distributions.
> However, I don't think an installation program can ever be completely
> "easy to use" for a non-geek.  Some tasks, such as deciding on how to
> partition the hard drive, can't be avoided and do require some
> technical
> knowledge.  Even with all the questions that Debian asks at
> installation, I'm not sure that a potential Linux user will find it
> any
> more difficult than a Redhat or similar system...

I actually agree.  If you want ease of use in a Debian distro go with Libranet,
 Xandros (was Corel Linux), or a bootable debian distro that can be installed
after you are used to it like demo linux or knoppix.

Stephen's business model-  Everyone install debian and then pay me to support
you! (hey im out of work, blatant attempt at earning money)