[vox-tech] help with script

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:47:35 -0700

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:43:45AM -0700, Harry S wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 07:29:13AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > The CS department uses `script` and uses `handin` to turn in the files and
> > log when the files were turned in.  Or at least that's what they did when
> > I was there last year+.
>
> Never heard of "script", so I check it out. Pretty cool little program
> for teaching *nix. I'm guessing "handin" decrypts the script file.
>
> While looking up "script" I came across "replay". It allows you to play
> back "script" files (must have same terminal or results aren't
> guaranteed) with key timings.

I have done rather complicated stuff with expect from tcl for systems as
well as automating project testing. It is very good to use pre-existing
tools like those you have at your uni, but learning how to use expect is
a power tool to add to your toolbelt. (not as powerful as your shell,
editor, sed, awk, perl, or many others, but still very useful.)

Perl also has its own expect too.

-ME