[vox-tech] help with script

Thu, 3 Oct 2002 00:16:19 -0700

hi lugod,

i'm allowing my students to turn in their assignments electronically
this quarter.  they're writing C or fortran programs.  i'm requiring
them to turn in:

1. the program
2. a file showing the compile process and the program output.

for #2, i'm having them use "script".

however, script shows annoying ^M's plus any kind of backspacing and
term codes:

   Script started on Wed Oct  2 17:00:24 2002
   ^[]0;dhevan@jensen:~^G[dhevan@jensen dhevan]$ cc program1.c^M
   ^[]0;dhevan@jensen:~^G[dhevan@jensen dhevan]$ exit^M
   exit^M

some of these people hardly know how to log into a unix system, let
alone use sed or even vi's ex commands.  i'm astounded that most of them
use vi at all.

i can write a script that presents a shell like interface which short
circuits this stuff saves their program output to a file, but if
something is already written, i'd rather go that route.

any suggestions?   what does the CS department do for electronically
submitted document?

pete

ps- for the astute reader, the professor told them to compile programs
with "cc" rather than "gcc".  it wasn't me.

pete