[vox-tech] Trouble with apt-get

Cam Ellison vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:54:04 -0800

* Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> begin Rusty Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com>=20
> > Ximian was the old Helix Gnome.
>=20
> ahhh.... that makes perfect sense (note: i don't know what helix is, but
> i know what gnome is).
>=20
> you almost certainly can't have ximian and gnome desktops on the same
> machine.
>=20
> i WOULD say certainly, but debian bends over backwards to do stuff like
> letting you have X3 and X4 on the same system.   but you said the ximian
> stuff isn't a debian produced package?
>=20
> so i'd have to agree with rick and say, if it was made by debian, it
> might be possible to have both on the same system.  otherwise, it's not
> shocking that it doesn't play well with the debian GNOME desktop.
>=20

Rick is right.  Ximian has been deprecated for some time, since wasn't
done properly in the first place.  There was a message about that
close to year ago, but I don't remember where.  Certainly it was
discussed on debian-users.  Use the Debian versions of Gnome.

Cam
 =20
--=20
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
=46rom Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast
cam@ellisonet.ca
camellison@dccnet.com
cam@fleuryassociates.com