[vox-tech] proftpd

Brian Lavender vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:28:00 -0800

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 09:19:12PM -0700, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Martyn R Whittaker wrote:
>
> > Does anyone in the group use proftpd?

I use wu-ftp. Your system probably allows user ftp and perhaps anonymous
ftp. There's also kerberized ftp. I imagine that there may even be ftp
that can auth users via ssl certificates.

> Nope, I use ssh/scp for all my file transfers.
>

> > I'm trying to setup FTP on my Web server so that I can update my Web
> > server.  I ran
> >

> Why not ssh/scp? :)

Here are four reasons.

Because scp uses encryption and therefore is slower.

Almost everyone has an ftp client. Even Win 95 has a Windows
client built into it. I would say more people are familiar
with ftp than ssh.

Your system could still be vulnerable even with ssh. dsniff, ssl
exploits...

You can configure a guest ftp and anonymous ftp, where the user
only sees your chroot area of the system.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/