[vox-tech] Omsoft transparent HTTP proxy

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:22:45 -0800

I'm aware that Omsoft has a transparent proxy on their HTTP.

I have my domain search path set to ucdavis.edu, and I've noticed that
of I use a protocol like whois (I use `whois -h mothra <username>` a
lot) or ssh (I use `ssh pc21.cs`) a lot, the domain resolver correctly
appends .ucdavis.edu to the domain name. However, if I try to use the
same trick with HTTP, (I like to visit "http://my/" or
"http://registrar/" or "http://sisweb/") Omsoft's transparent proxy puts
up a page saying it couldn't find the domain name.

How does the transparent proxy work? (It certainly doesn't filter all
packets directed to port 80, because if it did then domain resolving
would work)

How can I make my search path work again?