[vox-tech] vim question

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:24:32 -0800

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:11:33AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:59:11PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > damn, matt.  you're good!   :)
> >
> > i thought rusty used debian though.  this doesn't seem like something
> > debian would do...
>
> This can be due to vim being built with support for changing and restoring
> the title of the terminal window in which it runs. This is true by default of
> even the non-GTK version in Debian.
>
> If the error message under su-shell is bothersome, simply unset the DISPLAY
> variable. Vim will no longer try to mess with the X display.

Also, vim -X #Do not connect to X server

I have ssh forwarding my X connections, and that comes in handy, so I
don't want to unset $DISPLAY.  But having vim  contact my Xserver over
slow-ass dialup every time i reply to an e-mail is laggy and annoying,
hence -X.

I'm a new vim convert and found the vimtips at
<http://vim.sourceforge.net/tip_download.php> to be very helpful as far
as learning how to do stuff as well as just getting a better idea of all
the cool stuff vim can do.

There's some quick perl to pick out a random tip here:
http://zenux.net/linux/vimtip.pl

-ta