[vox-tech] vim question

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:29:35 -0800 (PST)

So what happens if you type:

   xhost +username

and someone creates a machine named "username"?  Can anyone from that
machine access your X?

Let's assume that's not a problem because X first checks /etc/passwd,
and if there's a user named "username", it gives that user the permission
but not to any machine.  What if you want to give all the users on
"hostname" access to your X, like this:

   xhost +hostname

then the root on the system decides to create a user named "hostname"?
Then now you can't connect from "hostname" and you've inadvertantly
given the user "hostname" a complete control over your X.

How does xhost work to get around these problems?

-Mark