[vox-tech] vim question

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:57:57 -0800

Quoting Michael Wenk (mikewenk@attbi.com):

> if you're su'd and execute any x app, it will give that error because
> root doesn't have permissions for X.  I used to see this while running
> emacs, but then emacs would go into non window'd mode.  If you xhost
> +root then you'll be fine.

Which is what we call "bend over" security.

Alternatives:

1.  ssh -X -c des root@localhost  [1]
2.  su - ;  xauth merge ~regularuser/.Xauthority ;  export DISPLAY=:0.0
3.  "Sux".  http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/sux-readme.shtml

[1] "-c des" overrides default ssh cipher to single-DES for minimal overhead.

--
Cheers,                                     Bah humbug.  Shop late.
Rick Moen                                   Happy unChristmas.