[vox-tech] X is blown out

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:44:16 -0800

Quoting rscofield (rscofield@afes.com):

[/tmp :]

> It seems to be mounted.  I can access the directory.  Also /etc/fstab
> shows that it's supposed to be mounted.  I don't know how to check the
> output of /bin/mount/

Run it.  Post what output results from doing so.  The information here
is potentially crucial:  Suppose /tmp is a separate filesystem, and is
for some reason getting mounted read-only?

Are you saying that /etc/fstab _does_ list /tmp as a separate
filesystem?  Please be specific.

> The permissions are drwxrwxrwt.  I'm not familiar with the "t".

Sticky bit.  That's correct permissions.  Should be owned by user root,
group root.

> There's stuff in there but no .X0-lock.  I guess that' the problem.

Nope.  The X server startup creates that lockfile, like so:
-r--r--r--    1 root     root           11 Nov  3 20:44 .X0-lock

>> About the boot-time error message that scrolls off-screen too quickly
>> read:  You need to examine the console log:  Try "dmesg | less".
>
> I can't find that message with dmesg.  I actually tried that earlier.

Then, it must be an error either before the kernel loads (possibly a
hardware error) or one after the hardware-recognition phase.  If the
latter, you'll have to do diagnosis via logfiles, or some similar means.
If my system were producing some unknown error during startup of
services, I'd work to find out what.

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright