[vox-tech] X is blown out

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:09:49 -0800

[Cc'ing research@afes.com as requested.  Any followups should do
likewise.]

Quoting rscofield (rscofield@afes.com):

> This morning as I was booting into Linux the electricity in my house went out,
> and as a result my X has been blown out.
>
> When I boot into Mandrake I get an error message that goes by so fast that I
> can't read it.  It starts out like this:  "Can't remove..." and then this is
> followed by a filename.
>
> After I log on and type "startx" I get these error messages:
>
> "xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/bob/.Xauthority
>
> Fatal server error:
>
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock"

The obvious question, of course, is what's going on with the /tmp
directory.  (Is it, by some chance, a separate /tmp filesystem?  If so,
is it getting successfully mounted at boot time?  Check /etc/fstab and
the output of /bin/mount, if you're unsure.)

What are the ownership and permissions on the /tmp directory?  Is there
anything in it?  Maybe /tmp/.X0-lock, for example?  If so, what are the
ownership and permissions on that?

Does the symptom you describe happen for the root user, as well as for
your non-root username?

About the boot-time error message that scrolls off-screen too quickly to
read:  You need to examine the console log:  Try "dmesg | less".

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                           FORTH heart if honk then.