[vox-tech] is this a job for Xlib?

Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:57:15 -0800

matt, a possible option is to look at xvoice.  voice recognition
software does precisely the same thing: given some alternate form of
input, insert "typed characters" into X.  you might want to see how they
do it.

you also might want to look into gdk.   gdk is a very low lovel wrapper
library for xlib.  it's probably just as complicated (or nearly so) but
it hides some of the details and isn't as long winded.  i've played with
gdk a bit, but i don't know how to solve your problem with what i know
of that library.  anyway, you might want to look into gdk rather than
xlib.   gdk also has the benefit of being portable across windowing
systems.  i'm betting you can solve your problem with it.

lugod has 2 or 3 books on xlib in the library if you decide to pursue
that.  out of all the libraries i've played with (and i love to tinker),
xlib was the only one i gave up on because it's hardness-to-interesting
ratio was so high...

pete

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>