[vox-tech] quick, stupid bash question

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 11:32:49 -0700

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:29:29AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> ok, haven't tried this, but this looks to me like:
>
> put stderr into stdout
> redirect stdout (and therefore stderr) into /dev/null
> pipe stdout (which should be null) to grep.
>
> yet it works.  where is my thinking going wrong?

I'm guessing the order of operation goes backwards.
So:

  "redirect stdout to devnull,
   shove stderr through stdout"

and then finally, on the other end, again, "pipe it to grep"

I'm far from a bash expert, though.  Most of what I know I learned from
your bash talk, and most of that has evaporated off the top of my head. ;)

-bill!