[vox-tech] truetype fonts under gnome

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:51:46 -0700

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:43:43AM -0400, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wrote:

>   I'm interested in the delay problem you are having... if you are _not_
> restarting the xfstt process you shouldn't have problems.

I'd check to see if xfstt is running.  If it is not, I start it, then
I restart X.

The exact symptom is that applications take a long time to load (or don't
before the X server dies).  This includes gnome-terminal and gfontsel...

> -  What things are you doing when you notice lag or the session vanishing?

Clicking on the Terminal or [Gnome Foot] -> Programs -> Utilities -> Font Sel.

:)

<snip>
>   My guess is xfstt plays much like apache (there is one master parent
> who runs as root, which forks a client process which switches to a
> dummy user to actually do the work for client connections).  So the
> two processes is normal.

Ok, cool. :)

-bill!