[vox-tech] truetype fonts under gnome

nbs vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 27 May 2002 15:17:07 -0700

I followed some very nice instructions on the web:
"TrueType Fonts on Debian XFree86 4.x Systems"
( http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html )

Part of the instructions were for installing Microsoft's
"Core Fonts" package, and the other part were for
installing non-packaged (Debian packaged) fonts;
e.g. stuff you get off your MICROS~1 WINDOWS parition,
or download off the 'net.

The Windows core fonts work fine.  I can access them
from Gimp, I can see them in GFontSel and XFontSel.

The other fonts, just some downloaded TTFs, work
fine under XFontSel, but don't get rendered
under GFontSel and Gimp.  Instead, I just see the
text as if it were "Fixed" or "Clean" font...

I'm using Debain Woody, XFree86 4, Gnome from Woody.
Fonts are beign handled by XF86-4 via the "freetype"
module (eg, not via a font server)

Thx!

-bill!